Tuesday 13 September 2011

UAE my kind of place



First stop would be UAE, I may say it was a fortunate mistake which leads me to say no choice. I failed to pass the first interview, I didn’t mind ‘coz I have a nice job that time, i work as an event organizer and am earning a pretty good bucks.

After a month, I received a phone call saying if I am still interested in the position which I failed to pass before, and then I said “ok let’s give it another shot”.  2 days before the interview I had a job related fight with my boss, because of that I was determined to really push myself and focused. To make the long story short I passed the interview, after 3 days I have the schedule to fly. That fast!

I applied as a front cashier, that’s what I do for living since 1997 and on and off related work until 2006, quite hard and challenging at the same time knowing that you are handling money which is definitely not yours is a little bit risky, but if you know what you are doing, then risky is a word that no longer exist if you master your job.

1st day of training in Dubai--- getting to know your colleagues

2nd day ---------------------------- history of the place and company introduction

3rd day----------------------------- duties and responsibilities

4th day----------------------------- hands on training

5th day ---------------------------- actual training

6th day-----------------------------off

On the seventh day, it was a the disaster day! I applied as a cashier and see myself refilling petrol in a forecourt area in a petroleum station at 2oclock in the afternoon of July 27, 2007! Imagine how hot that was! We aren’t told that our job would be like that, we were 13 in our batch and half of our batch suffered from the position which is a bit of nightmare. Some resigned but some remained including me.

I used to go to the bathroom not to pee or anything but to feel sorry for myself, how poor I am to be punished like this, I used to cry with my nose bleeding at the same time. I use to have a camouflage skin, I used to sweat liters of water even am just setting and doing nothing because of the humids, customers were yelling sometimes coz I overfilled there tanks, and so many things which are against your human nature.

Having said and experience all those things…what I earned? I have a good friends, I’ve meet a great customers, I learned a lot of ideas, I learned how to value even the worthless things, ive proved that I am still one of the lucky ones, and learned to love myself and give importance to others point of views.

After 5 months of unbelievable working environment I applied to transfer to a different department which is I am not entitled to do so coz I am still not qualified, I have to be at least a year working with them to be in different department, again I need a little push and determination, I spoke to the big bosses and I think I have the charisma….they let me. I work in a baking and coffee section with in the same company and from there I explore things more than I could learn in a forecourt area. More than that I earned more true friends and a loyal colleagues.

After 2 and half years in the baking and coffee section, a friend of mine asks me to attend an interview. A restaurant in Abu Dhabi which is not open yet and if I’ll get the job I will be one of the pioneer. Fortunately I passed. I switched, and again embraced the new position and new place with an open arms.

I am now one of the  barista in Fanr, one of  beautiful place in Saadiyat Island which is now a really worthed placed to dine and enjoy the ambiance of a nature, friendly summer breeze with a touched of Zen garden and water flows in a walkway through the open area of the restaurant,

Along with the restaurant is not just Fanr, Gallery and exhibition is also inside the Manarat Al Saadiyat and together with that is the museum where you can see the history of the island itself from past, present and the future.

3 comments:

  1. After reading your history, i felt like its ma story, but i know, its not mine. but it resembles with ma story. it memorized me the moment of sometime of ma life spent in the UAE,i would like to thanks you for memorizing me the time.............. hope to read about u and UAE... PLEASE POST SOMETHING..............

    ReplyDelete
  2. what an inspiring story...life is not full of trials and sacrifices..right time came to you and the important is you're enjoying now in your job, environment and friends.

    ReplyDelete